The next meeting of the M M Thomas Ecumenical Reading Forum will be held at 7.30 pm on 12th Tuesday in the JMM Library. Dr. K. N. Ninan, outstanding Scientist, retired from VSSC, Thiruvananthapuram, will speak on “Global Warming.”
Kindly confirm your participation.
The following areas will be covered:
1. What is Global Warming & Green House Effect
2. What are Green House Gases
3. Significance of Carbon dioxide among them
4. Carbon dioxide from natural sources and human activities
5. Removal of carbon dioxide and carbon cycle
6. Evidence of increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide and global average temperature
7. Effects of global warming
8. Desirable upper level atmospheric carbon dioxide
9. Possible mitigations :
9.1 Energy Sector – Green Energy
9.2 Transport Sector – Role of mass transportation
9.3 Reforestation and conservation of forest/ trees
10. Role of Christians in Sustainable development
Prof. (Dr) K.N. Ninan
Currently : Professor Emeritus, Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology (IIST)
Dept. of Space, Govt. of India.
Formerly : Outstanding Scientist & Dy. Director (PCM), Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
1. Personal : Born on 06. 09. 1946 at Thiruvalla, Kerala State
2. Academic Qualifications : PhD from University of Kerala (1981); First Rank Holder for
M.Sc (1968) and B.Sc (1966)
3. Professional :
Joined Indian Space Research Organisation in Aug. 1968 as Engr. Trainee and retired in Sept. 2008 as ‘Outstanding Scientist’. During the period served in different capacities as:
• Propellant Engineer (1969 – 1976)
• Head, Analytical & Spectroscopy Division (1976 – 1990)
• Group Director, Propellant & Special Chemicals Group (1990 -2005) and
• Deputy Director, Polymers, Propellants, Chemicals and Materials Entity (2005 – 2008).
Has made significant contributions for the development of the propellants, polymers and chemicals used in ISRO’s launch vehicles, SLV, PSLV & GSLV. Under his leadership, solid propellants for the deboost motor of Moon Impact Probe, Polymeric materials for Space Capsule Recovery Experiment module and hydrocarbon fuel for Semi-cryo propellant were successfully developed.
Was instrumental to indigenize 65 chemicals for Satellite and Cryo projects, and initiated developmental programs to realize strategic materials for future missions.
Established a state of the art chemical facility at VSSC, for the characterization of all space chemicals and materials.
Research : A co-author of over 532 research papers in journals and seminars, 26 patents and a guide for 22 successful Ph.Ds, he has developed a strong chemical research group in VSSC.
5. Honors / Awards :
• NETZSCH – ITAS Award, 1987 for outstanding contributions in Thermal Analysis
• Corresponding Member, International Academy of Astronautics (IAA)
• Honorary Fellow, High Energy Material Society of India
• Fellow, Kerala Academy of Sciences
• Distinguished Visiting Professorship, conferred by the Indian National Academy of Engineering,
• Member, Advisory Board, RSIC, IIT – Madras,
• Chairman, Educational Committee, International Confederation of Thermal Analysis, India Region.
• Nominated member, Academic Council of Kerala & Cochin Universities,
6. Professional Societies :
• Past President of :
Society for Polymer Science, India
High Energy Materials Society of India (Trivandrum Chapters)
Kerala Academy of Sciences
• Life Member of several professional societies
7. Chairman / Member of expert committees in several Research Organisations.